b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] nomen tetragrammaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Philip Engmann" <phil-eng AT ighmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] nomen tetragrammaton
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:16:08 -0000

"Whenever, therefore, this nomen tetragrammaton occurred in the sacred
text, (shem hameporash hashem)[1] they were accustomed to substitute
for it Adonai."[2]

The above is a quote from Gesenius's OT lexicon.[3]

I find it difficult to translate and interpret the phrase, shem
hameporash hashem.

The best I can do is literally, "name, the distinct name", or "name, the
holy name".

Philip

_____

[1] Hameporash means the distinct or the holy and it is a pual singular
masculine participle derived from the verb, wr!po. [Benjamin Davidson,
The Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon, (Grand Rapids, Michigan:
Zondervan Publishing House), 1970. Pages 507 and 635].

[2] H. W. F. Gesenius, Gesenius's Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon to the Old
Testament, (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker Book House, 1979). Page 337.

[3] H. W. F. Gesenius, Gesenius's Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon to the Old
Testament, (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker Book House, 1979). Page 337.