b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Birah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Deborah Millier <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Birah
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:43:04 -0800 (PST)

Liz Fried wrote:

> I discuss the term birah in
> my article "The Political
> Struggle of Fifth Century Judah,"
> in Transeuphratene 24 (2002):9-21
> A birah is a citadel, an acropolis.

Funny, I seem to remember the term BIRAH used in a
different sense. Back when I was living in Jerusalem,
and when I would come home from a long day working at
my chosen profession as a GANAN, I would sit down on
our balcony, overlooking REHOV "King George" with a
cold BIRAH in hand (usually a Tuborg or a Carlsburg
"KHETZI") and think, "life is good!" ;-)

RAQ STAM,
-- Michael Millier