b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] chiasmus and topic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joe Abrahamson <ibnabraham AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] chiasmus and topic
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 10:21:33 -0600

Does anyone on this list know of studies on the use of chiasmus as a method in highlighting discourse topic?
For instance:
I Sam 1:1-3 consists of three narrative sentences that are built on the chiasm:

Elkanah
Hannah
Peninah
Peninah
Hannah
Elkanah

The center of the chiasm highlights the point of conflict between Hannah and Peninah. The narrative following presents the conflict as its topic in greater detail.

I haven't researched enough know if this is just an isolated instance. But before I start doing that I was wondering if someone had done some research into this already.

Thanks much,
Joseph Abrahamson