b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The Hebrew of the Jehoash Inscription

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The Hebrew of the Jehoash Inscription
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:02:35 -0500 (EST)

The latest edition of Biblical Archaeological Review has an article
by David Noel Freedman discussing the Hebrew of the so-called
Jehoash Inscription. For one of his points, he writes: ""It would seem
that `asah alone is the verb used in the inscription to mean 'repair,'
not bedeq, which most likely carries its Biblical meaning 'crack'."
He states this interpretation is "unusual, but not unimaginable," and
cites Deut 21:12 and 2 Sam 19:25 [24 in some Bibles] for comparison.

However, the use of this verb in these verses involves body parts,
not inanimate materials or defects, so I'm not really convinced that
the examples are to the point. Can anyone tell me what's going on
here?

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson,
mailto:scarlson AT mindspring.com

  • [b-hebrew] The Hebrew of the Jehoash Inscription, Stephen C. Carlson, 02/27/2004