b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] POETRY II, supplemental

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] POETRY II, supplemental
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:53:06 -0800

On 24/02/2004 05:49, Karl Randolph wrote:

Peter:

Yes, evolution.

The pro-evolution propaganda presented would have us believe that Charles
Darwin invented evolution. That is not true. All he did was to repackage
existing theories in a form palatable to Victorian England. Charles'
grandfather, Erasmus Darwin, did some work in evolution theory. So did many
others going back to ancient Greece, if not before. Even Charles Darwin's
most notable contribution, that of natural selection, was believed by
Aristotle, among others.

Charles Lyell (spelling?) did his work on geological stratigraphy
presupposing evolution: Charles Darwin had a copy of one of his books with
him on the Beagle.

OK, I won't argue this one!

I read some quotes from this period in a book, Zur Datierung der Genesis 'P'
Stücke, a doctoral dissertation by Dr. Samuel Külling, a book I borrowed and
returned in 1970, and what stuck with me is the condenscending attitude
towards the ancient Jews as being intellectually inferior, that is why they
would believe such a book as the Tanakh. But modern people were more evolved,
and knew better. I got the impression that they believed that Jews were
lesser evolved than even their Canaanite neighbors.

Sounds like a certain Pastor Herrell is less evolved even than Dr Külling.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)