b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Please shed any light on meaning of "temple" in these passages

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Please shed any light on meaning of "temple" in these passages
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 19:16:02 -0600

Dear Dora,

>I don't know what to think of Lemche or the thoroughness of his research.
>It is news to me that anyone has been searching for a temple at Shiloh; I
>always understood the shrine at Shiloh to be only a shrine.

1Sam. 1:9 So Hannah rose up after they had eaten in Shiloh, and after they
had drunk. Now Eli the priest sat upon a seat by a post of the temple of
the LORD. (KJV)

>The actual passages as translated in the New Revised Standard Version DO
>refer to a temple there, but one of the passages also calls it a tent of
>meeting, and my Access Bible interprets this to mean the "temple" was a
>mobile tent shrine.

This is what the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia has to say:

The Israelites set up the tabernacle and the ark of the covenant at Shiloh
(Josh. 18:1), and this remained the cult center duering the period of
tribal history recorded in Joshua and Judges . . . .

While located at Shiloh the tabernacle of Moses was apparently set up more
like a temple than a portable tent. 1 S. 1:9, 3:3 refer to doorposts and a
door; possibly a substantial building and adjacent storehouses were also
added. Shiloh at this time was a place of annual pilgrimage, as can be seen
in the account of the birth of Samuel (1:3, 9).

Although not recorded in Scripture, Shiloh's violent destruction,
accompanied by a great fire, is attested by the findings of archeological
excavations at the site. The destruction of Shiloh is lated referred to by
Ps. 78:60 and Jer. 7:12-14, 26:6
___

The article mentions archeological work by the National Museum of Denmark
from 1926-32. There were seasonal excavations by Finkelstein of Bar Ilan
University, Tel Aviv, beginning in 1981.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard