b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Umberto Cassuto

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy AT isot.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Umberto Cassuto
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 04:19:15 -0800

On 29/01/2004 20:33, Michael Abernathy wrote:

I hope this is not too far off topic. I am doing some research on Exodus and
I would like to know whether Umberto Cassuto's commentary on Exodus is
considered dated?

It is given two stars in the SIL publication "A Directory of Exegetical Aids for Bible Translators", Compiled by Anthony G. Pope and R. Vernon Ritter, 2001 revised edition - one of only two technical commentaries on Exodus so rated. There is a note "Conservative; helpful exegesis; treats as a unified whole." Note that "treats as a unified whole" is important for translators who have to work with the text before them, whatever their view of the original sources; commentaries which discuss only reconstruction of sources are not much use for translators.

The other two star technical commentary is Durham in the Word series. Sarna's JPS commentary also has two stars but in the less technical category.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)