b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives on Philistineguardsof Judean kings in Kings and Samuel?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives on Philistineguardsof Judean kings in Kings and Samuel?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:52:51 -0500

Dora:

What a wierd “history”.

1 Samuel does give where David’s original 600 troops came from. They were
Israelis.

The words in question may have derived from the names of peoples to refer to
their choice of weaponry or way of fighting. There is not enough evidence in
Tanakh to say either way. Their use in Tanakh seems to indicate certain
groups of professional soldiers.

In English, we still talk about “going berserk” in fighting wildly, yet how
many of us realize that the term had its origins among the berserker, Viking
shock troops that would fight wildly? Likewise, native Israeli soldiers who
copied the PLTY or KRY in weaponry and/or battle techniques, may have called
themselves by those names to refer to the weaponry and/or battle techniques,
not intending that they should be recognized as having come from those
peoples.

Tanakh is no help in tracing the etymology of these terms, and apparently
there is not much outside of Tanakh that survived from that time either.

Karl W. Randolph.