b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What did Tamar cook?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What did Tamar cook?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:44:20 -0500

Dear Yigal:

The only passage in Tanakh where BRYH is used as a noun is again 2 Samuel 13,
where it is used three times. Looking at the root meaning of BRYH we find the
concept of being fed, hence as a noun it is food prepared to feed another.
LBBWT in this context then becomes a subset of BRYH.

Contrast to M)CL, literally “eats” (noun, bad English) refers to the personal
eating rather than feeding another. Again contrasted to R(H with its concept
of feeding from which there is the feeder of sheep (shepherd) and neighbor
from the concept of the one you feed at public ceremonies. The difference
between BRH and R(H is that in the former fodder is put in the crib and in
the latter the animal is led out to a pasture where food is available.

Is there anything that I am overlooking?

Karl W. Randolph.