b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What did Tamar cook?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What did Tamar cook?
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 00:12:36 +0200

Hi Karl,

The way I read it, she prepared both LBBWT from flour and cooked BRYH, which
seems to have been some sort of stew. The MSRT seems like a utensil out of
which she poured (KJV translates "pan").

But interesting that you should ask, today of all days. Today was the last
day of Hanukkah, and the word LBBWT ("livivot") is used in modern Hebrew for
the traditional Hanukkah food known in Yiddish as "latkes" - cakes of ground
potatoes and flour fried in oil. I know that potatoes were unknown in
biblical times (they're a new world plant) but they did have yams. I don't
know when "livivot" was first used for "latkes", whether it was a modern
invention or if the usage preserves an ancient tradition of "livivot"
meaning fried meal cakes. But a nice coincidence.

Yigal