b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm & 40th Psalm
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:48:17 +0200

Hi Folks,

The following points:
1. The verb KRH/KRY means "to dig", NOT "to pierce". To pierce one's ear is
RC(, as in Exod. 21:6.
2. In the wider context of Ps. 22, the speaker is surrounded by bad animals:
bulls, lions (v. 14 [13 in English]), dogs and bad folk in our verse, and
again dogs, lions and "reemim" (whatever they are) a few verses down. SO
"like lions" makes perfect sense here.
3. However, IF K)RY is "like (a/the) lion", the verb is missing. "my hands
and feet ARE like lions" doesn't fit the context - I'd expect something like
"TPSW" - "like a lion they caught my hands and feet". But that's not in the
text. Which may be why the vorlage of the DDS and the LXX had KRW - to
supply a verb. But what does "piercing hand and feet" mean IN THIS CONTEXT,
unless it's about Jesus. Which it's not (at least, "king David" didn't think
it was...).
4. The way I read Ps. 40:7 is, since God created us with ears to hear and to
understand, He does not want sacrifices. KRYT, "you dug" here does not refer
to opening up ears that were closed, but to the original creation of ears in
our bodies.
5. An interesting addendum: in Papyrus Anastasi I, there is a sentence in
Canaanite, which the Egyptian scribe write in Egyptian transliteration, just
to show what and expert he was. The phrase includes a word that can be
transcribed as either "ari" - lion, "air" - donkey, or "ail" - deer,
changing the whole meaning of the text.

Yigal