b-hebrew - [Fwd: Re: [b-Hebrew] 22 nd Psalm]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Fwd: Re: [b-Hebrew] 22 nd Psalm]
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:39:41 -0800

Here is my off-list response to Jason (adjusted only by omission of what Jason wrote), which I can now post as Jason has posted what he wrote. The evidence Michael quoted has strengthened my case, although I wouldn't want to bring the part about Yeshua into the discussion here. Nor would I accept Jason's argument "I do not like the idea that this whole psalm is applied to Jesus messianically"; rather, in principle at least, I would hope that we can understand the meaning of the text without appealing either positively or negatively to Christian understandings. Incidentally, this verse is not quoted in the New Testament, and so any Christian understandings are later; I don't know how much later.

Peter