b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Coffee

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: George Athas <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Coffee
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:20:18 -0800

On 13/11/2003 14:43, George Athas wrote:

I remember some time back coming across a theory that presented evidence for
coffee being mentioned in the Bible. From memory, it picked up on the word
QAHWAH. I've done searches and can't seem to find the word.

Nor can I. The only occurrences of QHW are with the Q as a final root consonant and a HW suffix.

BDB has an entry Q"HFYOWN (qehayown) which could look like "coffee" but is a conjectural emendation of NIQ:YOWN in Amos 4:6. But doesn't quite fit the context: providing coffee in every city is not much of a judgment!

I suppose the occurrenced of QHH in the context of teeth could be made to sound like coffee, but the form T.IQ:HEYNAH is not very like QAHWAH.

Does anyone know of this argument and/or the Biblical references invovled?

Best regards on a glorious Sydney morning,

I wish I was there! I enjoyed this time of year in Australia last year, but this year I am stuck in damp and grey England.

GEORGE ATHAS
(Sydney, Australia)

--
Peter Kirk