b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Re: deriving stems (was:

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Re: deriving stems (was:
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:02:19 -0500

As a lexicographer, there are two approaches I have seen utilized in
Hebrew-English dictionaries: the first is to indicate words into English that
make the smoothest reading in English including for each inflextion, the
second is to try to indicate as best as possible the Hebrew meaning no matter
how awkward it sounds in English. The latter approach utilizes the
inflextions to narrow down the core meaning of the Hebrew word. BDB, Gesenius
and almost every dictionary utilize the former approach. The former approach
makes it harder to see the inflextional pattern.

Karl W. Randolph.