b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Other languages in the Tanakh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Brandon M Cherry <pentewyn AT juno.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Other languages in the Tanakh
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 06:57:39 -0800 (PST)

Among the works on foreign words in the BH there is one by the late M.
Ellenbogen, and also, I believe, by Chaim Cohen.

Uri

,
> b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
>
> Elaine Keown
> central Texas
>
> Hi,
>
> If you look at the standard (but quite old)
> dictionary, Brown-Driver-Briggs, you will find
> Aramaic, Persian, Akkadian, Tamil or Malayalam, Greek,
> Egyptian and probably various others.
>
> I would guess that the Aramaic and Persian loanwords
> are the most numerous---Elaine

Most of these I'm aware of, but Tamil and Malayalam surprise me. How
would languages of southern India end up in the Hebrew Bible? Any idea
what the word or words in question are? I have BDB, but don't recall
discovering them yet. Oh, how I miss living near the seminary library!

Brandon Cherry, M.Div.
Waco, TX