b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] question about Ashtarte/ Asharah and Book of Ester

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: CS Bartholomew <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: b-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] question about Ashtarte/ Asharah and Book of Ester
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:49:44 -0700

On 10/14/03 1:36 PM, "CS Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> In the history of narrative we find common plots, themes, actors and roles
> in
> stories from cultures geographically and historically isolated from one
> another, e.g., Aztec and Babylonian. There have been proponents of the view
> that cultural elements (language, stories, etc.) have been transferred from
> the ANE to far away places by ancient sea peoples. I am not one to reject
> out
> of hand the possibility of cultural transfer in this manner. However, it
> seems
> more probable that human cultures include what might be called narrative
> universals. Stories common to all cultures which do not need to travel in
> space and time from one culture to another

Before anyone wastes their time pointing this out, I am fully aware that the
Ashtarte story didn't need to travel great distances to become the basis of
Esther story. I think Pastor Eddy has raised most of the pertinent
objections to Esther directly borrowing plot and character from Ashtarte
mythology.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew