b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 10 Commandments Stone Table

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Walter R. Mattfeld" <mattfeld12 AT charter.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 10 Commandments Stone Table
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 05:27:53 -0700

On 09/10/2003 04:05, Walter R. Mattfeld wrote:

For those interested, a brief description and photograph is available of a
shattered stone table bearing an archaic Proto-Sinaitic inscription from the
southern Sinai. I understand that although the Exodus as presented in the
Bible is fiction, it is recalling real events or physical phenomenon found
in the Sinai as documented by modern archaeology. William Foxwell Albright
argued that Proto-Sinaitic was of the 16th-15th century BCE, which
co-incidentally, aligns somewhat with the Bible's Exodus of 1446 BCE (cf. 1
Kings 6:1).

I understand that the southern Sinai's shattered stone tables (or "tablets")
with their Proto-Sinaitic inscriptions are the "historical kernel" behind
the two stone tables given Moses by God on Mount Sinai.

Cf. the following url
http://www.bibleorigins.net/ShatteredProtoSinaitictablet.html

Regards, Walter
Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld y de la Torre, M.A. Ed.
mattfeld12 AT charter.net

Thank you, Walter, for the evidence on your web page that the proto-Sinaitic Semitic alphabet is older than Moses, as I just posted in reply to Karl.

But what has this particular tablet to do with the Ten Commandments? Anything beyond it being broken? Surely it would have been commonplace for such tablets to be broken. What does the text on it say? If it were part of the 10 Commandments, that would indeed be exciting. But if it is typical proto-Sinaitic graffiti, I don't see any relevance to b-hebrew.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)