b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: [hebrew] Re: Hebrew marks in ISO 8957 but not in Unicode

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jony Rosenne <rosennej AT qsm.co.il>
  • Cc: 'Biblical Languages' <biblical-languages AT lists.ibiblio.org>, hebrew AT unicode.org, 'Biblical Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: [hebrew] Re: Hebrew marks in ISO 8957 but not in Unicode
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:38:08 -0700

On 01/10/2003 17:25, Jony Rosenne wrote:

Peter,

I was referring to the statement: "JTC1 is waiting for Israel to make a case
for these, as they did when the TC46 standard was under development."

Thank you for the clarification. JTC1 obviously should be waiting for input from the community of users of ISO 8957, who are probably not concentrated in Israel but scattered worldwide. From my limited knowledge of the procedures,it seems that the best channel for such input to the ISO committees is through the UTC, which represents users rather than national bodies.

You contradict yourself in saying both "This is not a matter in which the
views of the Israeli NB should be decisive" and expecting that "all of the
characters in it are incorporated into SII 1311".

I don't actually expect the latter. If the Israeli NB chooses to do so, ISO 8957 might then be considered redundant. As it probably won't, ISO 8957 has an important place not least as the only standard way to represent the characters in question.

Jony