b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] (no subject)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] (no subject)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:07:40 -0500

Bill:

That?s one of the passages where ?yachid? is used but where the context does
not necessarily call for the ?only one? meaning. In fact, not one of the
contexts necessarily calls for ?only one?. This verse, in particular, argues
against that reading in that Abraham had another son whom he loved, but who
did not live with him. That is why a ?theological? understanding is given
this verse.

If yachad ?to be together? is the root that yachid comes from, and other
derivitives from that verb mean ?together?, is it possible that yachid also
has a meaning of togetherness instead of oneness? None of the contexts rules
out that reading.

This is a question, but if it is correct, the translation for Gen. 22:2 would
be, ?And he said, take please your son, the one with you who you love, Isaac,
?? My understanding of the culture is that the one who inherits the father,
stays living with the father while the other sons go away to make their
fortune in the world. Abraham sent his other sons away so that they would not
compete with Isaac for the inheritance. Esau moved away from his brother
Jacob. I?ve seen the same pattern with farmers even today.

Is it possible that yachid has the meaning of togetherness instead of ?only
one??

Karl W. Randolph.