b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vocalization of wnr)h 1Sam 1:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vocalization of wnr)h 1Sam 1:22
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:50:49 -0500

Dear Clay Bartholomew:

I have never heard of a passive Qal before. I was taught that the Niphal is
the passive for the Qal.

One of the challenges in reading the text without points is that often the
consonants can be read as Qal, or Niphal, or Piel or Pual, and it is only the
context that decides which is which.

If we read nr)h as a QAL it is a first person plural, as you say. If it is
Niphal, it is third person sing.

There are four verbs in Hannah’s statement: the first is third person sing.,
the second is first person sing., the fourth third person sing., the third
verb is either third person sing. or first person plural. The first person
plural fits the flow of the sentence as well as the Qal usage of R)H as is
found in other passages using this unique context.

The Greek you transliterated below is third person sing., and I believe the
Latin is the same.

In closing, I do not agree with Mr. Alter that it is late, unless “late” can
be as much as 2000 years ago.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.