b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yachid: together with or one?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yachid: together with or one?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:44:50 +1200 (NZST)

Karl wrote:-

>That meaning is further weakened when I looked at its uses. Genesis 22
>Isaac is repeatedly called Abraham^s YXYD son, but Abraham already had
>another son, one who was already blessed by God. In Judges 11:34 it
>describes Yiptach^s daughter, but if it meant only daughter, why does the
>verse then proceed to say that Yiptach didn^t have any other sons or
>daughters?

These uses don't necessarily weaken the meaning. In Genesis one only has
to assume that the author is making a theological rather than biological
point and in Judges that the author is waxing eloquent. There is nothing
odd about either usage.

Bill Rea, Information Technology Dept., Canterbury University \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'