b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Prepositive accents

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: DrJDPrice AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Prepositive accents
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 03:38:54 -0700

On 11/09/2003 17:21, DrJDPrice AT aol.com wrote:

Prepositive Yethib occurs only on monosyllables, or on bisyllables accented on the first syllable, so no need ever exists for it to be repeated.

The Koren edition is the only edition I found that repeats Great Tellisha (I don't have Bauer), but I have only the electronic Koren edition, not the printed edition. The electronic edition seems to place the second Great Tellisha on the upper left corner of the first consonant of the accented syllable. I suspect that proper place is over the middle of the first consonant as shown in GKC. A printed Koren edition should answer that question.

The only other prepositive accent is Dechi used in the Poetical Books. I found no edition that repeated Dechi, not even Koren.

Best regards,
James D. Price
Prof. of Hebrew and OT
Temple Baptist Seminary
Chattanooga, TN.

Thank you, Dr Price. This agrees well with some answers I received on another list, so I am glad to be sure that this is correct.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)