b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Food, OT, and theology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Kevin J. Boddecker" <s_kboddecker AT pbu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Food, OT, and theology
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 10:56:31 -0700

On 06/09/2003 10:27, Kevin J. Boddecker wrote:

Hi. My name is Kevin John Boddecker. I am a student at Philadelphia
Biblical University. I am beginning research on a paper in an area that it
seems little has been done. I was wondering if anyone knew of any books,
articles, or any other source on the topic of food in the hebrew
scriptures and/or the sacred nature or theology of food. Thank you.

One article springs to mind:

KA van der Jagt, "What did Saul eat?", The Bible Translator vol.47 no.2, April 1996, pp.226-230. Available online at http://rosetta.reltech.org/TBT/CD3/TBT.html. But more about meal customs than about the food itself - customs which are still similar 3000 years later. Even in the UK chicken's right legs are more valued by some than their left legs, so bargain packs are often all left legs!

Turkish restaurants will sell you Urfa kebab, minced lamb with herbs on a skewer. Urfa is very near Haran. I wonder if Abraham ate something very similar 4000 years ago?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)