b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2Sam 1:15-16 temporal sequence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2Sam 1:15-16 temporal sequence
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:06:46 -0500

Dear Clay:

Here is one place where the lack of temporal indications in Biblical Hebrew
seems to cause confusion. When David said verse 16 to the Amalekite either
precedes verse 15, or more likely just after he called to his soldier to kill
him.

A more famous example of such lack of temporal indications is Genesis 2:19
where it appears that God created the animals after man, while chapter one
tells the order of creation in which the animals were created prior to man.
In English we would add the temporal indications that show that the animals
were created prior to man but Hebrew doesn’t.

KL +B
Karl W. Randolph.