b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: nephesh mot]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <jason AT hareplay.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: nephesh mot]
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:29:39 -0500

Peter, Rolf, and others following this thread:

I would agree with Peter and Rolf on this point (that earliest Christianity
did not have such a perspective), but could I conjure up the idea without
inciting any violence (LOL) that such a belief did take root in Christianity
just shortly after its formation? I would say that although Jesus, James,
John, Peter, and all the other original formers of "the Way" viewed the soul
as the Tanakh presented it, there was another thread of thought
soon-to-come. It was with Paul that such a view came into Christianity.
Apparently, while incorporating Gentiles into the Church, he also
incorporated Gentilic perspectives. This seems to play into the discussion
when we read such verses as "to be absent from the body is to be present
with Christ" and the like.

I hate to bring doctrine into the discussion, but it seems to be playing in.
Let us remember to keep this impersonal and discuss the HISTORY of the
doctrines rather than their nature as right-vs-wrong. (Stay on the high
road!)

Shalom aleichem,
Jason