b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] software question: circlet indicating uncertain reading?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, regalzi AT infinito.it
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] software question: circlet indicating uncertain reading?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 05:57:34 -0700

On 27/08/2003 05:48, Trevor Peterson wrote:

There was a <em>brief</em> discussion recently on G-Megillot about this:

http://mailman.mcmaster.ca/mailman/private/g-megillot/0307.gz/msg00002.html

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics

===== Original Message From Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk> =====
Can I ask a partially off-topic question of all you software and Hebrew font
gurus out there?

A specific sign is customarily used to indicate a probable or uncertain
reading of a letter in transcribing a manuscript, e.g. in Qumran studies but
elsewhere too: A little circlet above the letter in question.

How does one type the little critter?

I'm usually writing in MS Word, inserting Hebrew by means of "Unitype Global
Office" in a font called UT Hebrew David or alternatively UT Hebrew
Frankruhl, but that's not so much a matter of choice as of being a blind hen
pecking every which way to see if something works :-)

So if something else is recommended, I'm listening.

The immediate reason for asking is the preparation of an article which it'd
be nice to have come out right if printed by someone the other side of the
planet - little circlets and all :-)

kol tuv
Soren Holst
Copenhagen

Did Giuseppe give any reason for preferring the less specific characters? It would seem to me generally preferable to use the Hebrew block characters for Hebrew annotations, especially when the specific use is as text critical annotations. Also it will work with current implementations, whereas use of U+0307 and U+030A probably will not.

Note that it has recently (so far unofficially, but it now seems to be accepted by all on the Unicode Hebrew list) been clarified that U+05C4 HEBREW MARK UPPER DOT is intended as the upper punctum extraordinarium and not the number dot. The punctum extraordinarium was probably originally intended as a mark of uncertain characters.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)