b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 65:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 65:2
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:38:17 -0700

On 14/08/2003 11:02, Dave Washburn wrote:

(English 65:1)
I'm wondering about the word DUMIY.FH, "silence," here as rendered in the MT. The LXX reads PREPEI, "is fitting," which according to BHS and a couple of others works out to a Hebrew DOMIY.FH, but I haven't been able to find much info on this purported word. I'm wondering whether the idea of silence in praise has merit; one commentary I read said that "silence" and "praise" are mutually exclusive terms but I'm not so sure. I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this passage: info on the word that supposedly underlies the LXX, whether silence and praise really were mutually exclusive in the mind of the writer of this psalm, and any other thoughts that you folks might have that haven't occurred to me.

One idea that springs to mind as I type is that perhaps the poetic structure of the line led to omitting a conjunction; that is, perhaps the first 3 words might be rendered "to you are [both] silence [and] praise." But that's just thinking out loud.

Opinions?

I guess the reconstruction is intended as a Qal feminine participle of DMH "be like, resemble". The form DOMIY.FH is a regularly attested alternative form to the more common paradigm which would yield DOMFH, see GKC 75v.

But I don't see any good reason why "silence" shouldn't be read here.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)