b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 35:15 Pash

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: CS Bartholomew <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 35:15 Pash
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 12:57:25 -0700

On 8/4/03 10:46 AM, "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com> wrote:

> In Job 35:15 the word p$ is found, and this is its only occurrence in
> Tenakh. The dictionary meaning has question marks referring to folly and
> arrogance. So is this its meaning? Are there any cognate clues?
>
>> From the context I get the idea that it refers more to ignorance than
>> foolishness.

M.Pope (AB, 3rd ed.) reads P$( for P$ which he adopts as the best of several
not particularly satisfactory solutions. For a review of the other options
see E.Dhorme or Keil&Delitz

The LXX (Old Greek) didn't have Job 35:15-16. I believe that Origen used
Theodotion to add it to the "Fifth Column" and marked it with asterisks,
E.Tov Note on the LXX of Job 35:15-16 "Element omitted by the Old Greek and
added in Job by ĀŒTheodotionĀ¹ sub asterisco."

Job 35:15 kai nun hoti ouk estin episkeptomenos orgen autou kai ouk egno
paraptomati sphodra

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew