b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Phoenician alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Phoenician alphabet
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 01:19:50 -0500

Dear Walter:

There are a few weaknesses in your theory that, if false, could nullify the
whole thing.

Back when I was an undergraduate, I read Dr. Samuel R. Külling’s dissertation
“Zur Datierung der Genesis ‘P’ Stücke”. I don’t know how others have
responded to his dissertation, but that it is a dissertation says that that
already passed peer review before publishing. In it, he made the assertion
that the division of Genesis into J, P, D and other sectors was based on the
philosophic presuppositions of those who made those divisions. Most of the
dissertation was taken up in quoting from books and articles as early as
1807, several by 1820 in French, German, Dutch and English, through Gesenius
and so forth. The point of the quotations was that these theories were
ideologically based, with minimal historical or linguistic support. The early
writings were much more open than the later writings (even as early as 1870)
in admitting the ideological basis of the theories.

One of the most basic of those presuppositions was a strict adherance to
naturalism, the belief that a deity does not act into history. What if that
presupposition is wrong? Many people don’t buy that presupposition, even many
scholars. Dr. Külling’s thesis was that absent the philosophic
presuppositions, there was insufficient linguistic evidence to aupport the
theories.

As a poor college student, I read the book in a library, and do not have a
copy of it.

As for proto-Sinaitic, there are sites on the web claiming that examples in
that writing have been found at sites dating as late as 800 BC. Yet several
of its glyphs are recognizably antecedent to paleo-Hebrew/Phoenician, a few
almost identical. (As for unicode, it should be encoded by
paleo-Hebrew/Phoenician because it is identical to the latter, only the
shapes are different.) As for earlier use of proto-Sinaitic in Canaan is
consistent with the Biblical indication that Abraham, Isaak and other early
Hebrews were literate.

How do you know that the Philistines spoke Aegean? The late Dr. Cyrus Gorden
claimed that many of the people of the Aegean spoke semitic languages, that a
decypherment of proto-Cretan (in Greek letters) and Linear A would probably
be found in Semitic dialects.

How do you know that the dates you quote are correct? I read that even
Egyptologists argue about dates, up to a couple of centuries in varience.
With such disagreement, it is possible that Raamses II benefitted from his
allaiance with Solomon, his sister or daughter married to Solomon only to
lead an invasion a few years after Solomon’s death. His nickname was Sesi,
very similar to the Hebrew $$Q.

As for evidence for your theory, I find it highly speculative without good
linguistic evidence that I can recognize. But I appreciate the linguistic
notes that you included.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.