b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Prov 20:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Prov 20:25
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:40:32 -0500

Dear Jim:

I looked up in my dictionary and found that it has the meaning “to belittle”.
My understanding of the verse is that “Belittling that which is set apart
(holy) is a snare of a man…”

There are two other uses of L(( in Tenakh, Job 6:3 and Obadiah 16.

I found one other inscription on a rock, published in a book in the library,
this time in script similar to Sinaitic where again L(( was used in the sense
of belittling.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.