b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Prov 18:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Prov 18:8
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:47:37 -0400

Hi Jim,

The Vulgate, as well, has "quasi simplicia", which the NRSV takes as "like
delicious morsels". The opposing tradition, followed by Rashi and other
Jewish commentators, understand "mithlahamym" as coming from the root HLM,
meaning "to strike" (as in Prov. 18:6 - "A fool's lips bring strife, and a
fool's mouth invites a flogging" [NRSV]"). Along this line the KJV
translated "The words of a talebearer are as wounds" and the NJPS "The
words of a querulous man are as bruising". This is also how "mithlahamym"
is used in modern Hebrew, although I'd have to look up when this was
introduced and by whom.
Since the whole chapter compares the "words" of the foolish to those of the
wise, but in no particular order, and I'm not sure what a "Nirgan" is, it's
hard to tell.

Yigal