b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Who made the calf?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ron Geib" <rongeib AT ptdprolog.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Who made the calf?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:48:38 -0000

Dear List Members:
I am a student of Biblical Hebrew and this is my first submission to this
list. I am reading Exodus 32:4 in the MT. The English versions I consulted
read similar to this, "He took this from their hand, and fashioned it with a
graving tool and made it into a molten calf; . . ." (NASB). This seems to
indicate that Aaron made the calf, but the word which is translated "made"
(I'm not sure how to transliterate it for your list) appears to me to be Qal,
Imperfect, 3CP, with the Waw Conversive. Why then is it not translated, "He
took this from their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool and [THEY]
made it into a molten calf."? Am I missing something elementary here?

Thank You for your help!

Ron Geib
--
May God Bless You today!