b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Aramaic numeric signs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Matsko <msm AT gwu.edu>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Trevor & Julie Peterson <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Aramaic numeric signs
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:24:40 -0400

Soren et. al.

Muraoka and Porten's "A Grammar of Egyptian Armaic," Brill, 1998 has a
section on numbers as does Rosenthal's "A Grammar of Biblical Aramaic,"
Harrassowitz Verlag, 1995. However Muraoka presents some tables and
concludes: "From the table above one amy make the following observations,
which are bound to be somewhat tentative on account of incomplete attestation.
. . " Furthermore, Ifrah's "The Universal History of Numbers," Wiley, 2000,
translated from the French version "Histoire universelle des chiffres,"
Editions Robert Laffront, Paris, 1994 has some discussion and pictures.

Michael Matsko
Rosslyn, VA