b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Al-Arish and Eres

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter R. Mattfeld" <mattfeld12 AT charter.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Al-Arish and Eres
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:29:34 -0400

According to Classical Scholars, Egyptian Pharaohs cut off the noses of
offenders and banished them to El-Arish in the Sinai. The place was called
in Greek Rhinocolura (cut-off noses). According to E.A. Wallis Budge's
Dictonary of Egyptian Hieroglyphic, Egyptian RESH means a "disaease of the
Nose."

Now, as to whether El Arish was *originally* a Semitic/Hebrew word that the
Egyptians equated with their word Resh, I cannot say. But, if I recall
rightly the 18th Dynasty Egyptians made a string of way-stations with water
and provisions along the way of Horus to Canaan, and thus it is just
possible it is indeed an Egyptian word ?

Regards, Walter
Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld, M.A. Ed.
mattfeld12 AT charter.net

  • [b-hebrew] Al-Arish and Eres, Walter R. Mattfeld, 06/03/2003