b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Are peh, taw and kaf aspirated in Biblical Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Are peh, taw and kaf aspirated in Biblical Hebrew?
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:45:17 +0100

Karl, the problem with your hypothesis is that the text you are reading is
taken mostly from MSS of the 12th to 14th centuries CE. A large number of
MSS of the same text survive from the 3rd to 5th centuries CE, and all or
most of these attest to a different set of spellings e.g. KAFARNAOUM for
Capernaum and MAQQIAOS for Matthew - F being phi, Q theta - though again
NAZARET, with tau, for Nazareth. While it is not impossible that your late
MSS preserve an original set of readings for which the early MS tradition is
lost, it is surely more likely that the late MSS in fact reflect a late,
Byzantine spelling standardisation - from a period when phi, theta and chi
were certainly fricatives, as was beta (not sure about gamma and delta).
This might go back to the time when Judea and Galilee were part of the
Byzantine empire and so reflect regional pronunciations from that time. Or
it might be later still.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/