b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Did they turn red?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Did they turn red?
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 11:02:33 +0100

I suspect that Ezekiel was deliberately using language that shocked. So
translators should also use language that shocks, but maybe limit that shock
to what would be acceptable. Another example is the phrase which KJV
rendered "that pisseth against the wall" (1 Sam 25:22,34, 1 Ki 14:10, 16:11,
21:21, 2 Ki 9:8) which is generally rendered now as the more euphemistic
"male" - which gives the intended meaning without the strangeness of the
idiom. But somehow this euphemism misses something, some nuances in this
idiom which is used only in the context of killing all the males.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/