b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 rachap

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 rachap
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 10:07:17 +0100

Interesting question, Karl. For what it's worth, BDB mentions a "Syr.Pa."
cognate meaning "*move gently*, also *cherish* and *brood*".

I wonder if the problem with "hover" is that it has changed its meaning.
Before the days of helicopters and hovercraft, what did hover? Nothing
larger than an insect or a humming-bird could actually stay stationary in
the air. My dictionary gives the Late Middle English sense "(Of a bird, esp.
a hawk etc., or an insect) hang or remain suspended in the air by rapidly
beating the wings; hang in the air with a wavering or fluttering movement.
(Foll. by over, about.) LME." - but can a hawk actually do this? If older
translators had no problem using the word of an eagle, I presume that to
them "hover" could include an eagle flying round in circles above its nest,
with minimal wing movement. And if that is not the meaning in Deut 32:11,
what is the meaning there?

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/