b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew words

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kevin Woodruff <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
  • To: carieslonimski AT eudoramail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew words
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 12:01:46 -0700 (PDT)

Carie:

I would suggest these:

> Faith - as in the covenent, or pledge, between G-D
> and the people of Israel. Is there one word that is
> particularly associated with the bond made between
> Moses (and Jews) and G-d on Mt. Sinai?

Chesed (covenantal loyalty, mercy)
(chet-samekh-daleth)

> Integrity - as in adherence, loyalty, purity?

Tom (tau-mem)

> Love - as in love for humanity or the world?

Ahavah (alep-hey-beth)

> Life - as in daily life or in a more spiritual
> sense?

Nephesh (human life) or Chay (Het-yod)

> Learning - specifically Torah learning?

torah (tau-resh-hey)

> Hope - as in future?

Tiqvah (tau-qof-waw-hey)

Kevin

=====
Prof. Kevin W. Woodruff, M. Div., M. S. I. S.
Library Director/Reference Librarian, Professor of New Testament and Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
Cierpke AT prodigy.net . http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm
From: BruceKGardner AT aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 19:59:54 EDT
To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

>I am planning to write them in Hebrew script (no consonant markings), so I
also need the Hebrew spelling. I would greatly appreciate any assistance >
provided!

>Thank you!
>Carie Slonimski

Dear Carie,

I hope I be not thought wiser than my teachers if I say that, since the aim
is to write biblical Hebrew words in the original script, the advice given so
far has to be reversed, i.e. with the first letter starting at the right of
the page and working left: Amen (aleph mem nun) would actually begin on the
right and read (from left) nun mem aleph.

This advice applies to all the examples. reading them left to right,
transpose them right-to-left in Hebrew script.

As I say, this advice may be unnecessary, but in any case it can't do any
harm, even if it is blindingly obvious.

Best wishes,

Bruce Gardner.