b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Neh. 1:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Neh. 1:2
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:11:19 -0500

Liz wrote:

> Why is happleyTah in the singular in Neh. 1:2?

I don't think it ever appears in the plural. It's probably an abstract noun
(escape) that takes on a collective meaning to refer to those who escape.
Maybe "remnant" captures what's going on, at least grammatically. If
"remnant" is understood to refer to a group of people, you don't call them
"remnants," but it would not be inappropriate to refer to them with plural
pronouns.

[snipped]

> Oh, and if anyone has any idea what the verse means, I'd like to hear
> that too.

Chanani and some unnamed men from Judah come to Nechemya, and he asks them
about the Jewish escapees and about Jerusalem. Just looking at this verse in
isolation, I'd be inclined to think that these escapees are those who were
never taken captive to begin with.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics