b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The Deep (Exod 15:5)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "nick lunn" <nick_lunn AT wycliffe.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The Deep (Exod 15:5)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:54:52 -0500

Does anyone have any ideas about the unusual clause in Exodus 15:5a?
The two Hebrew words simply say: 'The deep(s) covered them'.

My questions concern:

1. The YQTL form of the verb, when the adjoining verbal clauses are
all QTL.

2. The lack of gender agreement between the verb (masc) and its
subject (fem).

3. The fact that the subject precedes its verb, rather than follows
it.

4. The presence of any personification here. (Any veiled reference to
Mesopotamian, Canaanite, or Egyptian myths?).

If anybody can help or refer me to a good commentary I'd appreciate
it.

Nick Lunn
Wycliffe Bible Translators
Nairobi