b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] meaning of tallit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kevin Barney <klbarney AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] meaning of tallit
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 15:18:40 -0800 (PST)

What is the etymology of the word tallit? I have seen
the suggestion on the internet that it means "little
tent," but I would like to verify whether that is
correct. As I understand it, the word is not attested
in BH and derives from Mishnaic Hebrew.

Further, is there any linguistic relationship between
the tallit and the talitha in talitha cumi? I
understand that talitha is the feminine form of
Aramaic talya, "lamb, youth." Is the similarity of
appearance just accidental?

Thanks in advance for responses.

Kevin Barney
Hoffman Estate, Illinois