b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] nefesh revisited

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] nefesh revisited
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:12:12 -0500

Dear Matthew,
A nephesh is not breath particularly.
The nephesh is in the *blood*. IT's correctly
translated by Latin "anima." It's the thing which
animates the body, or the animated body.
God breathed into Adam, and he became a living nephesh,
meaning he was now animated.

As far as Samuel goes, there is nothing in that text to
indicate soul or spirit or anything. It was the appearance
of an old man in a robe.= Ergo, it was a body, physical,
something that could be seen (tho only by the woman
apparently). In any case, there is nothing here to imply that
you do not have your body with you in Sheol.
This is reminiscent of all the visions of God in the OT,
there is no concept anywhere of either gods or the dead
without a physical body.
Liz