b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Soul

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lew Osborne" <osbo AT hn.ozemail.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Soul
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:07:48 +1000

Hi all:
I once wrote an article and did an intensive study on OT uses of nefesh. I
was literally stunned by the wide variety of uses. But one particular
usage still baffles me: nefesh mot is used to describe a dead corpse! Can
anyone explain how nefesh, which seems to have the base meaning of breath
or life or soul, had come to be used to describe a corpse? Any help would
be appreciate. Thanks! Matthew R. Miller

Matthew

Makes you wonder about Ezekiel 18:4 and 20.

Where is the immortal soul?

Lew

  • [b-hebrew] Soul, Lew Osborne, 02/04/2003