b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Deut 32:5 THE LAST WORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Shai Heijmans" <shaih AT post.tau.ac.il>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Deut 32:5 THE LAST WORD
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 20:52:56 +0200

Here is my suggestion:

I would emend LW to LHM, and read therefore:
"Their blemish has broght ruin upon them, his non-sons".

This is in line with many witnesses, who underline the fact that the
blemish has casued ruin upon THEM, not upon HIM, see:
Neofiti, frag. targum, ps.-jonathan, onqelos, pshitta and the sam. targum.

Accordingly, L) BANYW means: "his-non-sons", like the construction in Hos.
1:9, 2:1 - L) (MY "My non-poeple". See specifiacally: LXX, Sym., Aq.
(Brooke-McLean p. 660), adopting this understaning of "non-his-sons".
See also midrash sifrei on numeri, para. 112: "said rabbi shmuel: ... shihet
lo lo banav mumam, when they are blemished they are not called his sons...".

MWMAM "their blemish" is the subject of the verb (singular!).

Although not flawless, such emendation is simple, makes sense
morphologically and theologically, and above all - it could have been the
basis of all the witnesses I've checked, who saw the pre-masoretic
consonantal text.

Regards,

Shai