b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Emendations, was: Deut 32:5 SHiCHeT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Emendations, was: Deut 32:5 SHiCHeT
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 20:17:58 EST

In a message dated 1/26/2003 7:49:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
peterkirk AT ozemail.com.au writes:

> [...]

> probably reflected in older commentaries and translations, if for now we
> ignore those which seem to be based on a different text. Another key
> point is that the text may not be saying what we expect it to say, and
> may not follow regular syntax, especially in older poetic passages like
> this one. I have also noted that scholars proposing emendations often
> display a serious lack of imagination in considering how the text as it
> stands might be understood, although their imagination runs riot in
> proposing emended texts.
>
> So I would suggest that we ought to exegete and translate the text as it
> stands, wherever possible, even if we do have reason to suspect that it
> might have been corrupted at some time. And we should beware of assuming
> such corruptions when some sense can be made of the text as it stands.

What one sometimes finds in old commentaries on the text (meaning here the
MT) is that the older Jewish commentaries understood it no better than we do
today.  We also find that the versions, notably the LXX, likewise did not
understand it and made their own emendations or, in some cases, followed a
differing text of which we find some remnants in the DSS.  Dahood made an
attempt to understand the text as it stands based upon Ugaritic materials and
probably went a bit too far.  When we undertake to translate a passage, no
matter whether we are translating for a language group which as yet has no
Bible in its tongue or whether we are producing a translation for our own
use, we are obliged to make sense out of the text.  It is no sign of piety or
scholarship to simply repeat what were apparently guesses on the part of some
scholar simply because his understanding happens to have the patina of age.

gfsomsel
From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Grammar Texts Question
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:39:18 -0500

Hi Rodney. It's been awhile, eh? Thanks for your kind comments.

I would like to continue on one point you
have brought up. It has significance for teaching/learning BH beyond
choosing a
first year grammar. You wrote:

> 3) Rocine's approach is to provide the "sense" of the Hebrew and not
> smooth translations into English. I actually think that is a strength,
> but some students get a little frustrated and find it helpful to be
> prompted to reflect on how to render the sense in to smooth English
> idiom. They learn about the problems of translating and the need for
> commentary.

I think translation is over-emphasized in second language learning to the
detriment of comprehension and appreciation of the language. For instance,
many of my students, because of their previous experiences in secpond
language acquisition, begin with the assumption that success is producing,
from a given passage in BH, an English version that matches their favorite
English tranlsation. A student's favorite "bookstore" translation becomes
the answer key. Until they get used to a different way, the question is
usually whether the translation is *correct*. I tell my students that if
that's what they want out of the course, they would be better off buying
more different English translations and good Bible study software rather
than expend the great effort required to learn Hebrew.

I guess students' obsession with translating is also because we think of the
translations we buy off the shelf as authoritive, as if we can't do any
better. Given their audiences and purposes, I would agree that we would be
hard-pressed to produce better translations than NIV, JPS, Fox's, etc. But
it is very unlikely that any of my students will produce yet another
translation on the bookstore shelf, so why make that the goal? Is that type
of smooth translation really the ultimate, let alone most practical goal?

To me, translation actrivities are discussion exercises in dead language
acquisition. In my course, we allow stretching English to its limits and
discuss whether we have produced a better or worse equivalence for the
Hebrew in terms of discourse. Discourse analysis is the study of the
linguistic signs a writer/speaker uses to guide his reader/listener through
a text. I think we would rather, while learning BH, appreciate and discuss
these signs than produce yet another smooth-sounding translation suitable
for the general public. We can always do the bookstore version later if we
care to.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine