b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BRCH What am I DIVING at?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BRCH What am I DIVING at?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:38:58 -0500

At 08:17 PM 1/23/2003 +0100, watts-westmaas wrote:
>Take the word: MiKVeH,(Root - KVH), Especially when used in Ezra 10:2:
>"...Yet now there is HOPE in Yisrael concerning this thing" and in Yeremiah
>14:8: "...HOPE of Yisrael, his salvation in time of trouble". If I
>translate the word as 'Washing' (I think that I am allowed to do that)

You can do that in Midrash. But "Mikveh" (MQWH) has nothing to do with
washing! It means "gathering" (cf. Gen. 1:9-10), and as such a gathering of
water is applied to a pool in which one washes (in modern Judaism -
specifically a ritual pool, but that's a later usage). Now I'm not sure
whether there is a connection between "gathering" and "hope", but even if
a=b, you can't infer that b=c.

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga