b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] RE: b-hebrew Digest, Vol 1, Issue 11: Blessing -

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Raymond de Hoop <rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] RE: b-hebrew Digest, Vol 1, Issue 11: Blessing -
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:20:44 +0100

Title: Re: [b-hebrew] RE: b-hebrew Digest, Vol 1, Issue 11: Blessing -
At 23-01-2003 01:21 Ben and Jo Crick <ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk> wrote:

To avoid compounding the felony, so to speak, biblical characters use BRK as a euphemism for Curse or Blaspheme. See the accusation against Naboth, that he had "blasphemed" God and the king (1 Kings 21:13). Job's wife does the same in Job 2:9, telling her husband "curse God and die".

The context makes this euphemistic substitution quite transparent.

Shalom Ben
Are we dealing here with euphemisms? We are used to think `to bless' if we see the root BRK. But, it could be possible that the root had a much wider connotation and also could be used for `to say farewell', which would fit in 1Kgs and Job rather well. In Genesis 49 the rendering  `blessing' is not very succesfully, and `testamentary saying' -like in Genesis 27- would probably fit better. However, this translation also will cause it problems ...

kol tuv,
Raymond

Dr Raymond de Hoop
Lecturer of Biblical Hebrew
University of Groningen
Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies
Oude Boteringestraat 38
NL-9712 GK Groningen
The Netherlands
e-mail: R.de.Hoop AT theol.rug.nl

Home:
Boeiersingel 11
NL-9745 CA Groningen
The Netherlands
Tel.: ++31 50 553 0115
e-mail: rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl

  • Re: [b-hebrew] RE: b-hebrew Digest, Vol 1, Issue 11: Blessing -, Raymond de Hoop, 01/23/2003