b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] RE: b-hebrew Digest, Vol 1, Issue 11: Blessing - Root from ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Raymond de Hoop <rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] RE: b-hebrew Digest, Vol 1, Issue 11: Blessing - Root from ???
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:57:50 +0100

Title: Re: [b-hebrew] RE: b-hebrew Digest, Vol 1, Issue 11: Blessing - Root from ???
At 22-01-2003 20:40 watts-westmaas <watts-westmaas AT zonnet.nl> wrote:

Shalom Raymond,  I begrijp niet uw opmerking: 'where brkh is applied to the
curses on Reuben, and Simeon & Levi'; kunt u aub het uitleggen, want ik lees
niet het woord brkh in dit stukje (VERSES 2 t/m 7) behalve 'aleph resh vav
resh' voor CURSE. Bedankt, Chris.

Shalom Chris,

The list is in English, so I give my answer in (attempted) English.

You ask me how brkh should apply to vv. 3-7, because you do not find it there. I agree that neither the word BRKH, nor the root BRK is found there. However, in v. 28 you'll find the following:

WZ)T )$R DBR LHM )BYHM WYBRK )WTM   (28bA)
)Y$ )$R KBRKTW BRK )TM   (28bB)
And this is what their father said to them, when he blessed them,  (28bA)
Each according his blessing he blessed them.   (28bB)

In my view this applies to all the eleven preceding sayings/blessings and consequently also on the two curses found in vv. 3-7. So in v.\ 28 the root BRK is applied to curses and blessings, that is my point.

Hope this helps, kol tuv,
Raymond

Dr Raymond de Hoop
Lecturer of Biblical Hebrew
University of Groningen
Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies
Oude Boteringestraat 38
NL-9712 GK Groningen
The Netherlands
e-mail: R.de.Hoop AT theol.rug.nl