b-hebrew - Re: 2 SAMUEL 24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben and Jo Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: 2 SAMUEL 24
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 23:58:50 +0000

On Tue 14 Jan 2003 (11:39:56), dean.young AT cda.centerpartners.com wrote:
> I HAVE A QUESTION. IN 2 SAMUEL 24, DAVID SINNED AGAINST THE LORD. I'M
> CONFUSED BECAUSE I DON'T SEE THE PART WHERE GOD TOLD HIM NOT TO NUMBER
> THE PEOPLE. COULD ANYONE EXPOUND A LITTLE ON EXACTLY THE "SIN" OF DAVID AND
> WHY HE WAS PUNISHED?

It appears that YHWH was /Agent Provocateur/ in moving David to number
the people, and then punishing him for it. But the parallel account in
1 Cbronicles 21:1 indicates that it was *Satan* who tempted David to sin
against YHWH.

David yielded to personal pride in wanting to know the exact number of his
subjects; he confessed his guilt in verse 10. God gave David three options,
but David left the decision to YHWH and his great mercies (verse 14). The
result was a huge decrease in the number of David's subjects. The damage
might have been much worse, had not God's great mercies halted the plague at
the threshing-floor of Araunah (verse 16), the site of the future Temple.

Ben
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>
http://www.cnetwork.co.uk/crick.htm