b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew Word Study Book

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew Word Study Book
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:40:19 -0800

> I recently acquired a two-volume word-study resource entitled "Theological
> Wordbook of the Old Testament," authored by R. Laird Harris, Gleason L.
> Archer, Jr., and Bruce K. Waltke. If someone on the list is familiar with
> this work, I would like to know if it is a reliable source of information.
> Many thanks.
>
> Ted Mann

Hi Ted,

R. Laird Harris, Gleason L. Archer, Jr., and Bruce K. Waltke were the
editors of this work. If you look in the front matter you will find a list
of scholars who wrote articles for it.

The book has been around for over two decades, the contributors were mostly
"Evangelicals" in the sense that word had in the '70s and many of them had
published commentaries and what not on OT books.

Evangelical pastors and bible students have found the book useful which is
why it is still in print. PhD candidates in semitic languages are probably
going to look for something a little more . . . ah, what's the right word to
use here . . . a little more obscure, you know something translated from
German.

greetings, clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew